Frequently Asked Questions
About Costa Rica

Do I need a passport to go to Costa Rica?
A valid passport is mandatory to enter Costa Rica. All visitors need a passport and there must be at least six months after your arrival date remaining before the passport expires. Make sure your passport is in good physical condition.

Do I need a visa to go to Costa Rica?

Depending on your country of origin you may enter Costa Rica without a visa. USA, Canada and most European countries have this privilege. For more information contact your local government.

Do I need an international driver´s license to drive in Costa Rica?

You are allowed to drive with your normal drivers license for three months.

What documents do I need if I get married in Costa Rica?

Foreigners can get married in Costa Rica. The documents needed are: – original birth certificate – affidavit of single status – police record – valid passport – divorce decree (if applicable) – These documents need to follow the authentication procedure before being taken to Costa Rica. Since you will need a lawyer in Costa Rica to perform your ceremony, it is a good idea to review the documentation with them prior to your arrival.

Is the water drinkable in Costa Rica?

The water is potable or drinkable in most of the country. We do recommend using bottled water, especially in areas around the coast.

What is the currency in Costa Rica?

The Costa Rican currency is called the Colon. US dollars and major credit cards are widely accepted.

Are credit cards accepted in Costa Rica?

All major credit cards are widely accepted at major stores. For smaller/local establishments cash is best. You should have a small amount of Colones with you. Many establishments will take US dollars. You will find ATM machines distributed throughout the country. Be aware your bank may charge foreign transaction fees for both credit and debit/ATM transactions. Check with your financial institution before you leave. It is also a good idea to let them know you are traveling so they do not limit access to your accounts.

Do I have to tip?

Technically, no you don’t. You never have to tip cab drivers. Check the restaurant bill- most add the required 10% service charge, plus the 13% tax if it’s not included in the price of your meal. Check out the bill and make a decision from there. If you have received good service – it is typical to add another 5 to 10% .

What kind of inoculations or shots do I have to take before entering Costa Rica?

Costa Rican authorities demand that all travelers coming from the following countries (Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Bolivia, Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, Colombia and Ecuador as well as the Republic of Guyana) have a yellow fever vaccination certificate. It is not unheard of that the airline you are travelling on will refuse to allow you to board, or Costa Rican immigration officers will not allow you to enter the country. Please check with you local government to ensure you have the proper vaccinations.

Do I need an electric adapter for the outlets?

Outlets are 110 V, with standard US and Canadian two prong plugs.

How much is the departure tax?

Departure tax is US$28.00, can be paid in US Dollars, Colones or with a credit card.

Are the national parks wheel chair accessible?

The Poas Volcano National Park is the only one that offers access for wheel chairs.

What should I bring when going to the rain forest?

All you need is insect repellent, a rain coat with a hood and hiking boots. Chat with us if you are unsure.

What is the sales tax in Costa Rica?

Sales tax is 13%.

What number should I dial in case of emergency?

Dial 911 for immediate assistance.

When do you celebrate Carnivals?

Limon Carnivals are celebrated in October and Puntarenas has them from February 21 to March 3rd. All throughout the year there are local celebrations across the country. After all this is one of the happiest countries in the world!!

Contact Latitudes Now